Restaurants

Friday, September 16, 2011

Vintage Recipes

I am in a constant quest for vintage recipes. I will hit ebay, antique stores and resale shops. If I get my hands on an old church cookbook, it's a good day. So imagine my excitement when I found "Royal Baker and Pastry Cook" from the Royal Baking Powder company. As far as I can tell, the original booklet was written in 1890, what I have seems to be a reprinting, but the pages have turned brown, and smells deliciously old. So for your pleasure, I will start giving out these wonderful vintage recipes. I will be copying them word for word, so it's up to you to figure out what some of it means. If something is really confusing, message me, or leave a comment.

APPLE FRITTERS
4 large sound apples, peeled, cored. and cut each into 4 slices, 1/2 gill wine, 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1tsp nutmeg extract. Place slices of apples in bowl with sugar, wine and nutmeg; cover with plate. set aside to steep for two hours, then dip each slice in plain fritter batter (see recipe below), fry to light brown in plenty of lard made hot for the purpose. Serve with sugar.

PLAIN FRITTER BATTER
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp Royal Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
sift dry ingredients together; add beaten eggs and milk. Beat until smooth.




By:Erin Crosby

No comments: