Give it a whirl. It's really easy. Just remember to scrub your mussels before you cook them.
Spicy Mussels with Chorizo
Martha Stewart Living, November 2006
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes with juice
- 4 ounces dried, hot chorizo, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and chorizo. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mussels. Cover, and continue to cook, shaking pot occasionally.